Swedes want to further investigate Baltic Sea pipeline explosions
Copenhagen, Denmark — A Swedish prosecutor wants “further crime scene investigation” at the site of blasts that damaged two gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea and said on Friday a preliminary investigation concluded the cause was “suspected gross sabotage”.
Prosecutor Mats Ljungqvist said he understands the intense interest in determining what happened to the Nord Stream I and 2 pipelines, which were built to transport Russian gas to Germany.
“But it is important both for the preliminary investigation and for the various collaborations that we have that we can now work in peace and quiet,” Ljungqvist said.
The Swedish Homeland Security Agency and the Armed Forces are involved in the investigation, which is being carried out in cooperation with authorities in other countries,” he said.
The Swedish Safety Service has previously said that the underwater “detonations” on September 26 caused extensive damage to pipelines in international waters off Sweden and Denmark. Pipelines ruptured, sending large amounts of methane into the air.
The Swedish Navy said on Twitter that it was using minesweepers to perform “additional background readings” which were not part of the criminal investigation. He did not specify the nature of the work.
Investigators in Sweden, Denmark and Germany are investigating what happened. Danish and Swedish officials said they suspected several hundred pounds of explosives were involved in carrying out a deliberate act of sabotage.
Nord Stream 1 transported gas to Germany until Russia cut off the supply at the end of August. Nord Stream 2 never entered service because Germany suspended its certification process shortly before Russia invaded Ukraine in February.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has accused the West of attacking the pipelines, which Western nations have denied.
Ljungqvist, who led Sweden’s preliminary investigation, said earlier this month that “seizures were made at the crime scene”, but gave no details.